4 Days Murchison falls Birding Tour
4 days Murchison falls birding tour will start and end in Kampala, during the safari you will be able to explore Murchison falls national park which is the largest national park in Uganda located in northwestern part of Kampala. The national park harbors over 450 bird species including migratory and rift valley endemic, water bird species such as silver birds, swamp flycatcher, red throated bee-eater, goliath heron, giant kingfisher, black headed gonolek, African jacana, Abyssinian ground hornbill among others. During the 4 days Murchison falls birding tour you will participate in interesting activities like game drive, boat cruise, nature walk among others where you will also be able to view colorful bird species, different animals like giraffes, lions, leopards, buffaloes, elephants, Jacksons hartebeest, Uganda kobs, waterbucks, hippos, primate species like chimpanzees, olive baboons, black and white colobus monkeys, red tailed monkeys, plant and tree species among others.
Highlights of the 4 days Murchison falls birding tour
- Day 1: Pick up and transfer to Murchison falls
- Day 2: Morning game drive and afternoon boat cruise
- Day 3: Transfer to Budongo forest for birding
- Day 4: Departure to Kampala
Day 1 of the 4 days Murchison falls birding tour
- Arrival and transfer to Murchison falls national park, upon arrival at Entebbe international airport on the first day of the 4 days Murchison falls birding tour you will be welcomed by our driver guide who will brief you about the safari and then start the journey to Murchison falls national park in northwestern part of Uganda. The journey takes about 5 to 6 hours drive and on the way you will be able to spot some bird species and have a stopover in Masindi town for lunch. After lunch you will proceed with the journey to the park and upon arrival you will continue to the top of the falls where you will have views of different bird species, beautiful landscape, views of the waterfall, some mammals among others. From the top of the falls you will drive to check into the lodge, have dinner and overnight.
Day 2: Morning game drive and afternoon boat cruise
- Morning game drive, after an early breakfast on the second day of the 4 days Murchison falls birding tour you will meet up with your driver guide to go for a morning game drive in the savannah plains where you will follow different tracks such as the Buligi game track, Victoria track, Albert track among others. During the game drive you will be able to spot different bird species such as the marabou storks, secretary birds, Abyssinian ground hornbill, open billed stork, black bellied bustard, grey crowned cranes among others. You will also be able to view different animals like giraffes, Uganda kobs, waterbucks, elephants, lions, buffaloes, warthogs, giant forest hogs, leopards among others, take clear pictures of the sunrise, beautiful scenery among others during the morning game drive. After the game drive you will return to the lodge for lunch.
- Boat cruise, after lunch you will drive to Paraa landing site for an interesting boat cruise to the bottom of the falls, the boat ride is done in different schedules where the afternoon schedule starts at around 2:00pm and takes about 2 to 3 hours ride. During the boat cruise you will get an opportunity to view water bird such as the prehistoric shoebill stork, goliath heron, African fish eagle, African skimmer, black headed gonolek, long toed plover, saddle billed stork, long tailed nightjar, white backed heron, squaco heron, malachite kingfisher, pied kingfisher, white browned sparrow weaver, red throated bee-eater, martial eagle, papyrus gonolek, speckled fronted weaver, lesser and greater flamingos which are mainly seen in November to January. The boat cruise also helps you to have views of large concentrations of hippos and Nile crocodiles in water, other animals like elephants, warthogs, buffaloes, antelopes among others along the water banks, view fishermen fishing and many others. The boat will continue to the bottom of the falls where you will opt for hiking to the top of the falls where you will view different bird species, beautiful scenery, enjoy water splashes among others. Hiking to the top of the falls is an adventurous activity but strenuous therefore you have to be physically fit so as to enjoy and when you reach on top you will meet up with your driver guide to transfer back to the lodge for dinner and overnight.
Day 3: Birding in Budongo forest
- Transfer to Budongo forest, after breakfast on the third day of the 4 days Murchison falls birding tour your driver guide will pick you up from the lodge to transfer to Budongo forest for nature walk. Nature walk in Budongo forest starts with a briefing where you will be allocated an armed park guide who will be showing you the trails to follow such as Busingiro, Sonso royal mile, Kaniyo Pabidi among others. Budongo forest is one of the best birding destinations in the park harboring about 360 bird species which include yellow footed flycatcher, illadopsis puveli, black kite, olive breasted greenbul, brown twin spot, black eared ground thrush, vrowned eagle, white thighed hornbill, yellow crested woodpecker, cassins spine tail, African dwarf kingfisher, pygmy crake, Africa emerald cuckoo, Jameson’s wattle eye, black winged red bishop, yellow spotted barbet, crested guinea fowl, fork tailed drongo, parmoptila woodhouse, forest robin among others. During birding in Budongo forest you will be able to view butterflies, primate spices like chimpanzees, vervet monkeys, red tailed monkeys, grey cheeked mangabey, black and white colobus monkeys, mammals like elephants, lions, buffaloes, leopards among others which are rarely seen. After the nature walk you will meet up with your driver guide to transfer back to the lodge for an evening relaxation, dinner and overnight.
Day 4: Departure to Kampala
- Departure to Kampala: On the last day of the 4 days Murchison falls birding safari, you will have a relaxed breakfast, check out of the lodge and meet up with your driver guide to transfer to Kampala. On the way you will have a stopover at Ziwa rhino sanctuary for Rhino tracking which is the only destination in Uganda that harbors the endangered white rhinos in their natural environment. After rhino tracking you will continue the journey with en-route lunch in Masindi town. After lunch you will continue the journey reaching Kampala early evening and upon arrival your driver guide will drop you off at Entebbe international airport or drop off at the hotel of your choice.
End of 4 days Murchison falls Birding Tour
- Boat cruise fee
- Nature walk in Budongo forest
- Hiking to the top of the falls (optional)
- Rhino tracking
- Professional English speaking driver guide
- Park entrance fees
- Full board accommodation
- Ground transfers (in a 4WD vehicle)
- Vehicle and fuel
- Bottled water
- International air flight tickets
- Optional activities not included on the itinerary
- Personal insurance
- Personal expenses like buying souvenirs, crafts, drinks, laundry services, hiring a porter, tips among others.
What to carry for your birding tour in Murchison falls national park
- Field guide book
- A pair of binoculars
- A field bag
- A water bottle
- A light jacket
- An insect repellent and sunscreen
- A hat and boots